|       |  

Sacred Art Museum

The Sacred Art Museum, located in the Monastery of Arouca, was inaugurated in 1933. The works of art which are exposed – from the twelfth century to the seventeenth century - were objects of devotion of the nuns who inhabited the Monastery of Arouca since the Middle Ages until the year 1886, when the last abbess died. It is the most complete collection of monastic Portuguese art that remains in loco, in a building classified as a National Monument in 1910.

The artistic qualities of the exhibits - paintings, sculpture, jewelry, textile and furniture - are representative of the highest level of Portuguese art. Artists such as João de Ruão, Diogo Teixeira, Josefa d'Obidos, Bento Coelho, André Gonçalves, José Francisco de Paiva, amongst many others, are represented, with several works of art in the collection of the Museum.

The quality of the works of art that make up the collection is explained by the socio cultural level of the nuns of Arouca, who looked for the best artists who worked to customers of Lisbon, Porto, Coimbra, Braga.

Without losing its identity as a Monastic Museum of Sacred Art, it expanded its exhibition space with works donated by D. Domingos de Pinho Brandão and also with objects of sacred art from contemporary artists (opening soon). The Museum is also preparing the donation of Macedo e Faro.

Professor Doutor Manuel Joaquim Moreira da Rocha
(Director of the Sacred Art Museum of the Royal Brotherhood of Holy Queen Mafalda - Arouca)

Information

Contacts

Largo de Santa Mafalda
Apartado 103 | 4540 - 108 Arouca

  • dummy(+) 351 256 943 321

  • dummy(+) 351 256 943 321

  • dummy rirsma@rirsma.pt

  • dummy museu@rirsma.pt

Royal Brotherhood

© 2020 Real Irmandade Rainha Santa Mafalda de Arouca - Todos os direitos reservados.
Implementado por AlbergueDigital